Gas Valve Coils
how to install gas valve coils on a Gas dryer
This video provides step-by-step repair instructions for replacing the two and three terminal gas valve solenoid coil kit on a Whirlpool 29" gas dryer with the lint filter on top. The three most common reasons for replacing the gas valve solenoid coil kit are when the dryer doesn’t heat, takes too long, or won’t stop.
All of the information for this solenoid coil replacement video is applicable to the following brands: Whirlpool, Kenmore, Maytag, Amana, Speed Queen, KitchenAid, Roper, Norge, Magic Chef, Crosley
Tools Needed: Hex socket, flat head screwdriver, Phillips head screwdriver, putty knife
- Shut off the power and gas supply.
- Unplug the dryer to disconnect electrical power.
- Shut off the gas supply to the dryer.
- Wear work gloves to protect your hands.
Raise the dryer top
Pull the lint screen out of the housing in the top panel of the dryer.
Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the 2 screws that secure the lint screen housing to the top panel. To release the clips that lock the top of the dryer in place, push a putty knife under the lid near the left and right edges of the front of the dryer. Lift the top and prop it securely against the wall behind the dryer.
- Remove the lint screen.
- Remove the lint screen housing screws.
- Release the panel locking clips.
- Lift the top panel.
Remove the front door panel
Use a screwdriver or paint scraper to release the locking tab on the wire harness plug for the door switch. Disconnect the wire harness. Use a 5/16-inch nut driver to remove the front panel mounting screws from the inside of the cabinet. Pull the front panel forward slightly, and then lift and unhook it from the 2 bottom hangers.
- Pull the front panel off of the dryer and set it aside.
- Disconnect the wire harness for the door switch.
- Remove the front panel mounting screws.
- Remove the front panel.
Remove the dryers gas valve coils
Pull the wire harness plugs off of the valve coils. Remove the mounting screws from the mounting bracket and then pull the mounting bracket off of the top of the valve coils.
- Pull the valve coils off of the burner assembly.
- Remove the wires from the valve coils.
- Remove the valve coil mounting screws.
- Pull the mounting bracket off the top of the valve coils
- Remove the valve coils.
Install the new gas valve coils
- Attach the new coils to the burner assembly.
- Reinstall the bracket and reinstall the screws.
- Replace the wire harness plugs on the new valve coils.
While the cabinet is open, vacuum the dust and lint from inside the dryer cabinet.
Reinstall the front panel
- Position the front panel on the hangers at the bottom of the cabinet.
- Line up the mounting holes and reinstall the screws in the top of the front panel to secure it to the dryer cabinet.
- Plug the wire harness back into the plug on the door switch. Make sure the locking tab engages properly.
Reassemble the top panel
- Lower the top panel and snap it into place.
- Reinstall the screws in the lint duct housing and reinstall the lint screen.
Restore power and the gas supply
Plug the dryer into the wall outlet. Turn on the gas supply to the dryer.